Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 6 Reading Diary: West African Folktales

West African Folktales 

How We Got the Name "Spider Tales"

I really liked how this story set the stage for the rest of the stories in the unit. It gave just a little background information about Anansi and his cunning ways. I am looking forward to reading stories about this trickster!

Anansi and Nothing

Despite the fact that the king died in this story, I absolutely loved it! I thought it was a great way to explain why children cry over "nothing".  However, towards the end, I was slightly hopeful that Anansi's plan was not going to work. Although I find trickster stories very entertaining, I sometimes catch myself hoping that their malicious plans do not work out!

The Squirrel and the Spider

My secret wish that Anansi's plans would not pan out came true in this story! Even though Anansi was able to take advantage of the squirrel, karma paid him back through the crow. I love the plot twist; it just keeps things more interesting!

The Moon and the Stars

I liked this story a lot, mainly because the dragon was such a nice change up in characters! Also, I liked that Anansi's son was so brave, and using his cunning mind for good instead of evil.

Elephant and Wren

The spider was back to his old trickster ways in this story. Despite the fact that it worked to his advantage in the beginning, eventually he was taught a lesson: "Don't sacrifice an elephant for a wren." This is something that can easily be applied to everyday life. More specifically, don't take for granted what you already have for something you are trying to get.

Why Tigers Never Attack Men Unless They Are Provoked

I thought this story was so sweet! It was a nice change up to have the tiger portrayed as such a caring character. The tiger was also very smart by playing dead to see how the man would react. Needless to say, I was very pleased there was a happy ending!!

No comments:

Post a Comment