Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 5 Reading Diary: Twenty-Two Goblins

Twenty-Two Goblins 

After reading the first half of this unit, there were two stories that I really enjoyed: The Three Lovers and Brave, Wise, Clever.

The structure of all of the stories so far have been the same: the goblin tells a story to the king, and then asks him to solve the "riddle". These two stories follow that structure, and are very similar in overall plot of the story.

In The Three Lovers, there are three young men who all wish to marry the same girl. However, the girl becomes sick and dies. The three men all react differently, taking different paths of life. Then when one of them is able to bring the girl back to life, the goblin asks the king which man deserves to take the girl as his wife. I really liked the thought process the king displayed when asked this question. He felt that the man that was most deserving of the girl was not the one who had brought her back to life, but the one who had spent his time sleeping on her ashes. I liked that that young man displayed his unwavering love for the girl, even after she had died. It only seems right that he should marry her.

In Brave, Wise, Clever, there are three young men who are all promised to marry a girl by different members of her family. I really liked the setup of this story because it reminded me of something that would happen in my own life! I think it would be entertaining to retell this story with some modern twists!

The General's Wife

I really liked reading this story for a couple of reasons. First off, I loved that the king and the general were such an honorable men. I feel like it is very common for men with great power like them to become corrupt, so this was a refreshing change! I also really liked how Passion was described, not as a sex idol, but as a woman of great charm and beauty.

The Old Hermit 

I found this story very interesting. After reading through several of these stories, I was expecting the arrogant pupil to be killed so that the young Brahman would be brought back to life. Perhaps I will change the plot and use this for my storytelling this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment