Monday, September 1, 2014

Week 3 Reading Diary: Aesop (Jacobs)

Aesop's Fables (Jacobs)

The Sick Lion

This was probably the first Aesop fable that I have read that I was really disappointed in the way the characters acted in the story. I really did not like how they were literally kicking the Lion while he was down on his death bed. However, the Lion did not retaliate. Moral of the story: "Only cowards insult dying majesty." I completely agree with this and was glad the Lion "realized" this.

The Lion in Love

This story just goes to show that a person, or a lion, can do almost anything for true love. Hence, the moral of the story, "Love can tame the wildest." However, since the Lion changed his features for the sake of love, and was still rejected, I think this story also proves that one should not have to change who they are for true love.

The Fox and the Mask

I thought that story served as a spinoff of the lesson that you cannot judge a book by its cover. Although that lesson commonly deals with thinking someone might be unworthy based on their looks, this story actually implies the opposite. The appearance of the mask was very frightening, but since it did not have anything on the inside, it was not a true threat.

The Fox and the Goat

This story exemplifies the typical Fox as a trickster. That's one of the great things about Aesop's fables; there is repeatability in the characters and their "personalities". However, depending on what you like in stories, repeatability may not be an enjoyed feature.

The Ungrateful Wolf

I had to read this story a few times before I actually caught onto the meaning of it. In this story, the Crane dislodges a bone from the Wolf's throat. The Wolf did not pay thanks to the Crane, but simply tells him he should be grateful that he did not eat him while he was dislodging the bone. After fully understanding the story, I realized that there are many people in today's society who are like the wolf; ungrateful and unappreciative for the things others do for them.

The Dog in the Manger

Much like the Wolf in the story above, the Dog displays traits of some people in today's culture. Unfortunately, there are some people who will take what is not theirs and withhold it from people who have rightfully earned it.

The Mouse and the Lion 

The best story I have read from this section of fables so far! I love how the Mouse, typically an inferior character, gets his moment of being a hero; especially for the sake of lion, who is often the hero. I also really liked that he did it in such a humble way, and was not glorified for doing the right thing.

The Ass's Brains

Once again, the Fox is a trickster. The moral of the story was "Wit has always an answer ready;" which is completely true. I have one friend in particular who I cannot ever win an argument with because he, like the Fox, is very witty and always has an answer prepared for any and every counterargument I could ever come up with.

The Stag in the Ox Stall 

Much like the stag, some people are often fooled into seeing what they want to see. More often than not, these actions unfortunately lead to misfortune. This story is just a good reminder to be objective in decision making processes.

The Hare and the Tortoise

Even though I am relatively certain that everyone knows this story, this translation had a spinoff to the typical moral of "Slow and steady wins the race." The moral of this version was "Persistence beats impulse." I liked this different translation a lot because I tend to be an impulsive person. So this will serve as a good reminder to me in the future!

The Jay and the Peacock

I really liked this story because it was a simple reminder that looks are not everything. Just as the Jay could not put on the Peacock's feathers and become a peacock, people cannot put on a wig, or have some kind of plastic surgery and become a better person. It's is important to stay true to yourself, and make improvements from the inside out.

The Eagle and the Arrow

Fully agree with the moral of this story: "We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction." I have found this to be very true in my own life, especially in my middle school days when drama ran rampant through my circle of friends.

The Man and the Serpent

Oh the classic lesson of forgive but never forget! I have been taught this lesson many times throughout my life. Strange thing is, sometimes I agree with it, sometimes I do not. Nevertheless, I think forgiving is always the best option in any conflict.

The Fisher and the Little Fish

This story depicted the fish trying to be a trickster by attempting to convince the Fisher to let him go. However, the Fish's plan did not work, contrary to many of the other stories with tricksters in them. Fortunately for the Fisher, he was satisfied with what he had, and was not led astray by what he could possibly have in the future.

The Oak and the Reed

I really enjoyed this story. It was a great example of how to live life, especially in one's relationships. In any relationship, whether it is friends, family, significant other, etc., both people have to be willing to bend (give and take) like the Reed, or they will surely break like the Oak.

Hercules and the Wagoner

The moral of this story was "The gods help those who help themselves." I think this is an outlook that I have on life when it comes to helping others. I truly do have a heart for people and helping them. However, it is hard for me to help someone who is not willing to put in any effort to better themselves.

The Bundle of Sticks

As a girl I was always taught that there is strength in numbers, especially when it comes to walking through dark parking lots at night! I like that this story taught a valuable lesson without a scary story of a young girl being abducted in the middle of the night when she was walking alone.

The Mountains in Labour

I thought this story took an interesting, and more tactful, approach to teaching that crying about something will not get anything accomplished. I consider myself a "do-er", so this will definitely be a story I use in the future.

The Man that Pleased None

Such a great lesson! In addition to being a "do-er", I am also a people pleaser. It is so easy for me to get caught up in trying to make everyone happy, even though I know that is simply impossible. This story will serve as a simple reminder that I cannot focus on trying to please everyone all the time.

The Frightened Lion

"Imaginary fears are the worst," was the moral of this story. This holds true in many circumstances. I have a few friends who worry about absolutely everything, so this would be a good story to share with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment