Monday, September 8, 2014

Week 4 Reading Diary: The Voyages of Sinbad

The Voyages of Sinbad

Sinbad: Third Voyage

I really enjoyed this voyage! Like the first two voyages, something had gone awry and Sinbad was separated from his crew and forced to come up with a survival plan. I really liked the story of this voyage because there were so many exotic creatures that Sinbad had to face! The hairy savages, the giant Cyclops, and the enormous snake were all out to kill Sinbad and his crew, but Sinbad once again managed to escape death. I think this would be a great story to retell since there are so many options for recreating the enemies and their evil plots.

Sinbad: Fourth Voyage

This was also a very interesting voyage. I liked that the story told about the customs of the people Sinbad found in regards to death. How different people mourn, or even sometimes celebrate, death has always been very interesting to me. I also liked how Sinbad came up with yet another creative plan to escape his own death.

Seventh and Last Voyage

Although I do not think Sinbad saved the best voyage for last, I did still enjoy reading about this voyage. I liked that Sinbad agreed to take the letter and gifts to the King of Serendib on behalf of the Caliph even though he had sworn to never travel again after his sixth voyage. I love the loyalty that Sinbad shows to the Caliph as well as his unsatisfied hunger to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment