Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week 4 Storytelling: Family Ties


            After being shipwrecked once again, Sinbad found himself on a very mysterious island. Sinbad spent a few moments taking in his new surroundings, and then decided to make his way to a very large building. As Sinbad got closer to the building, he noticed some very large footprints in the sand. Given his past experiences, Sinbad was slightly hesitant to enter the building for fear of what might be inside. Nevertheless, Sinbad pushed open the large wooden door, and what stood on the other side took his breath away…

The Giant from the original story.
Source: Mythology and Folklore Un-textbook


            There was an enormous creature standing right inside the door. He was approximately 20 feet tall, had thick fur that was black like a gorilla’s, massive ears much like an elephant’s, extensive teeth that hung out like a saber tooth tiger’s, and a single fearsome eye in the middle of his head.

The enormous creature squatted down, stuck out his gigantic hand and said, “Hello. My name is Theodore.”

            Choking on his words, Sinbad stammered, “H-h-hi there. M-m-my name i-i-is Sinbad.”

            “I know who you are,” replied Theodore. “Follow me.”

Sinbad timidly followed the giant down the hallway, and they soon arrived at the door of a very large suite. Sinbad walked in and was completely in awe. Despite all of his riches he had acquired as a merchant, Sinbad had never seen something so elegant and extravagant. “This place is amazing!” exclaimed Sinbad.

            “Never mind that,” said Theodore. “I really need your help with something. You see I have heard legends about you, Mr. Sinbad. I know how you have eluded death when it didn’t seem possible. So I want you to help me escape.”

            “Why would anyone want to escape such a fine place like this?” asked Sinbad.

            “I have been held captive here for two years now, and I want nothing more than to be free again. I need to return to my native island so I may be reunited with my family,” said Theodore.

            Knowing how hard it was to be separated from his own family, Sinbad agreed to help Theodore. They stayed up late into the night devising a great escape plan, and the next day began building their escape ship.

            As they were working on the ship, Theodore briefed Sinbad on the awful circumstances he had endured over the past two years. “My master is the most terrible woman you will ever meet,” said Theodore. “Although she is very small and very old, she chills me to the bone every time she looks at me through her thick-framed glasses.”
           
Sounds awful,” teased Sinbad.

            “Just wait,” said Theodore. “You’ll see.”

            After a few days, Sinbad and Theodore completed their escape ship. How they managed to keep it a secret from Theodore’s master is still unknown to this day. Just when they thought they were going to be home free, a screeching voice rang out over the beach. “And just where do you think you’re going?”

            Able to recognize that voice from anywhere, Sinbad stepped out from behind Theodore. “Grandma? Is that you?” asked Sinbad.

            “My word! I can’t believe it’s really you!” replied the old woman.

            Not knowing what else to do, Theodore stood there in shock as he watched the two reunite. Finally he shouted, “Hey! What’s going on here?”

            Sinbad and his grandma told the story of how their family had been split up in a shipwreck many years before. Finally, things became clear to Theodore. Sinbad’s grandma had treated him so poorly because she was angry and missed her family. Apologies were made, and then the three of them set sail so that they could all be reunited with their families once again.  

Author's Note
I really changed this story up quite a bit from the original (Third Voyage). In the original, Sinbad is faced with various creatures after he is shipwrecked. However, I decided to focus on the Giant. I significantly altered the demeanor of the Giant, turing him good from evil. I just felt like the original needed a plot twist! 

Bibliography
Book: Arabians' Nights Entertainments 
Author: Andrew Lang
Year: 1898
Web Source: Gutenberg Project

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a great re-telling Shelbi and you were right, it was VERY different from the original, which I really liked. I really liked the use of dialogue and the details you provided. I knew exactly what was happening even though I hadn't read the original story. Lastly, I liked that in the end, everyone got what the needed. Sometimes stories just kind of drop off or end, but this one ended with a great explanation and a great ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, there’s quite a few unexpected twists in this one. The friendly giant took me completely off guard, and Sindbad’s grandma came at me straight from left field! Although a really zany coincidence, the run-in with grandma is pretty much in line with the motif of Sindbad constantly getting lost and yet always managing to reunite with the people he was separated from, despite the slim chances that such a thing would ever really happen. I guess it was a really small world over there in the Persian Gulf!

    ReplyDelete