Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Week 2 Storytelling: Friendly Frogs


One hot summer day the Thompson brothers decided to go for a swim in the pond out behind their barn. The pond was one of their favorite places to hang out. The shade created by the barn, and the cool temperature of the water made it the perfect oasis for the boys. However, it also served as a home for a family of frogs.

The three brothers Carl, David, and Shawn raced to the pond, and without hesitation, jumped in head first, creating massive splashes and enormous waves. The boys cried out in laughter as they let the cool water wash over their heads.

Meanwhile, the family of frogs was terrified that they had been placed under attack. The bodies of the boys jumping in felt like massive asteroids had plummeted to Earth and crashed right into their backyard. The frogs tried to swim to the safety of the bank, but the brothers were splashing around making it impossible to swim through the choppy water.

Finally, Father Frog cried out, “HEEYYYY!” The brothers froze. Where had that voice come from? They looked around for a few moments, and then finally David shouted, “Guys come here!” Shawn and Carl waded over to where David was standing, and they all three stared in astonishment at the family of frogs.

Pointing at Father Frog David said, “It was him. He’s the one that yelled.” Shawn and Carl dunked their brother under the water in disbelief. They thought there’s no way a frog could have yelled so loudly. David resurfaced, gasped for air, and then began swinging his fists in retaliation towards his brothers.

Father Frog yelled out again, “Hey! Y’all need to cut it out!” Immediately the brothers broke up their scuffle and stared at Father Frog. Father Frog continued, “While you boys may be having a grand ole time splashing around and causing a ruckus, you are scaring my family half to death.”

In complete disbelief Carl said, “Frogs don’t have families!”

“Sure we do,” replied Father Frog. He motioned for his wife and daughter to swim over. As they swam up he said, “This is my wife, Meredith and my daughter, Lacey.”

For a moment, the brothers just stood there with their mouths hanging open in shock. Finally Shawn said, “Well, it is nice to meet you Meredith and Lacey. I would like to apologize on behalf of myself and my knucklehead brothers.”

“It’s quite alright,” said Meredith. “We understand that you boys were just trying to have fun and cool off on this hot day.”

The brothers all made their apologies, and vowed to be more careful when swimming in the pond. And from that day forward, the Thompson brothers and the family of frogs shared the pond in peace. 

Father Frog on the pond.
Source: openclipart

Author's Note:
This story is based on Aesop's Fable The Boys and the Frogs. The moral of this fable is "Always stop to think whether your fun may not be the cause of another's unhappiness." In the original story, the boys were skipping rocks across the pond. As one could imagine, this would be very terrifying for the frogs at the pond. Hence, the moral of the story. 
In my story, I chose to keep the same moral as well as the same basic characters. I thought the moral was very practical, especially for fun-loving college students! Also, I thought the use of a slightly unusual pairing of boys and frogs to teach a lesson was unique, so I wanted to keep that the same. However, I made the boys a little more personal by naming them after some of my closest guy friends. 

Bibliography
Book: The Aesop for Children
Author: Writer of the text is unknown; Illustrator: Milo Winter 
Year Published: 1919
Web Source: Project Gutenberg 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shelbi! I really enjoyed your retelling and I thought the moral was very relevant to college students, as you pointed out. I’ve never read the original fable, but I think you did a good job keeping the story intact while adding in details, like the names of the boys and the names of the frog family. I also thought the clip art was cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story was entertaining and fun to read! I love the idea that frogs could teach boys a lesson. I love the fables because of their morals and how short they are, it's so easy to make them your own. It's great that you could use your friends' names, I love how people in this class incorporate pieces of their lives into their work! Your story was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job retelling the story and adding in details! I like that the fables are short and sweet, so you can give background and change them up however you want to. I love the moral of this story; it's definitely something that we all must keep in mind from time to time. My favorite part of this was that you incorporated something personal in the names of the brothers--it was so sweet that you used the names of your close friends, and I'm sure they would appreciate that. Overall, great job retelling this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was great! I found it very entertaining and it flowed extremely well. I love the details you added, and the personal touch you gave it with regards to using your brothers' names! I also liked your clip art picture, you did a good job and it works well with the story. The moral of the story is also really interesting; I've never read a fable that had that moral to it, and I think you kept the storyline and message intact with the changes you made. Good job!

    ReplyDelete