Monday, August 18, 2014

Week 1: The Un-Textbook

I can honestly say that I am not well versed in stories that fall under the mythology and/or folklore categories. So I am looking forward to expanding my reading horizons, and possibly discovering a new genre of reading that I really enjoy. Despite my curiosity, this task is also a bit daunting. However, I am ready to take on the challenge. I can hear my dad using one of his favorite phrases, "Another opportunity to excel."


Week 2:
I really enjoyed looking through Aesop's fables for the first storytelling assignment, so I suspect that I will be reading through more of his fables for this week. I am also interested to see how the audio works, so I am inclined to choose the ones that are illustrated by Milo Winter.


Week 3:
As a Christian I am drawn in by the biblical stories. I am particularly intrigued by the Bible Women stories. As a woman of faith, I am looking forward to reading more about women in the Bible.


Week 4:
The Ancient Egypt section caught my eye right away. I have always been fascinated by the pyramids, pharaohs, and Egyptian culture as a whole. Noticing the icon representing their are pictures included has me hoping there will be several pictures of their drawings and hieroglyphics.


Week 5:
Growing up, Aladdin was always one of my favorite Disney movies. It is no surprise that the Arabian Nights grabbed my attention. As I was browsing through the table of contents, I noticed there are several stories about Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp, so I am really looking forward to this unit.


Week 6:
One of my really good friends is originally from the Philippines, so I am naturally drawn into the Filipino Folktales section. I am hoping that this will be a section that will make me more well versed in the Filipino culture, and that I will be able to discuss my new knowledge with my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment