Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 13 Reading Diary: Grimm (LibriVox)

Grimm (LibriVox)

The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean

First off, I love how the stories in this unit take me back to my childhood. Growing up it was easy to hear stories of personified inanimate objects, and have no problem believing the events in the story could really happen. Now that I am older, I obviously know that a piece of straw, a coal, and a bean could not speak to each other and be friends. However, it was still fun to read!

The Mouse, the Bird, and the Sausage

Much like the story mentioned above, I know the events in this story could never happen. But this story was also fun to read. I really liked how the mouse, the bird, and the sausage all worked together to accomplish all of their daily tasks. Since all the characters ended up dying when they tried to switch roles, this could serve as a story that teaches children the importance of working together.

The Traveling Musicians

I really found this story to be quite hilarious! As all the animals came into the story I could really picture them being frightened by their masters' threats to kill them since they were growing older and less useful. Also, when they stacked themselves upon each other to enter the robbers' house, I thought that was priceless imagery. This was definitely my favorite story so far!

The Fox and the Horse

It was interesting to see that the fox is basically known as the "universal trickster." Although I had my suspicions of the fox when he was introduced in the story, I did not expect him to fool a powerful lion over an old and weak horse. However, I am glad that all ended well for the horse!

The Twelve Dancing Princesses

This story was very interesting. I liked that the princesses were somewhat rebellious and snuck out of the castle at night to meet up with twelve princes and dance with them every night. They certainly were not your typical, well-behaved princesses! Also, I found it humorous that the eldest princess was forced to marry the older soldier because she did not heed to the uneasy feelings of her youngest sister.

The Willow-Wren and the Bear

There was such an epic battle in this story! It was almost like Noah's Arc gone wrong...ha! It was very entertaining to picture all the flying animals battling all the four-legged animals. Also, it was very interesting to see the fox, who is normally a trickster, get tricked and essentially sabotage his army!

No comments:

Post a Comment