Thursday, November 13, 2014

Week 13 Essay: The Importance of Teamwork

Teamwork
Source: KodyB

This week I read the Grimm (LibriVox) unit. I really enjoyed reading this unit for a couple of reasons. First off, there were some stories that I was familiar with such as Rapunzel and Briar Rose, or Sleeping Beauty as she is more commonly known in the United States. While I was familiar with these stories, there were unique elements about them that made them interesting to read.

Although it was nice to read a couple of stories that I was familiar with, I really enjoyed reading the stories that I had never heard before. My favorite, which I used for my storytelling assignment this week, was The Mouse, The Bird, and The Sausage.

For starters, the characters of this story were very original, and quite unexpected in my opinion. I mean if I were to sit down and create my own story, I do not believe I would think to have a mouse, a bird, and a piece of sausage be friends, especially since sausage is an inanimate object! However, this combination worked out very well for the plot and overall lesson of the story. Another great thing about this set of characters was it really encourage the reader to use their imagination. While this is an easy task for a child who is having a story read to them, it is not always an easy feat for me when I am reading, so I definitely enjoyed the challenge!

Another thing I really enjoyed about this story was the overall moral of the story. Working together is something that we are all taught as young children, but that does not necessarily mean that it is easily done. Throughout middle school, high school, and college I have had to do many group projects. They have all been unique, and have therefore posed unique obstacles. However, by taking a simple story like this, it is easy to remember that in order to succeed, we sometimes have to be willing to work with others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment