Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 12 Reading Diary: English Fairy Tales

English Fairy Tales 

The Rose Tree

This was such a dark and sad story for something that is supposed to be a "fairy tale." Even though it was very sad in the beginning when the stepmother killed the daughter (typical fairy tale stepmother move), I was glad that she got what she deserved at the end of the story!

Cap O' Rushes

I liked that this was similar to Cinderella. Cinderella was always one of my favorite Disney princess movies growing up, so it was nice to see a similar story line but with unique plot points. Also, I am glad it had a happy ending and that the father was reunited with his daughter even after he cast her out of his house.

The Master and His Pupil

When I first started reading this story, I definitely was not expecting a demon to come into play! I wasn't sure if I was creeped out by the demon's actions, or if I found them comical. After all, seeing anyone continue to dump barrels of water on a single flower until the room was flooded would be slightly entertaining to see!

Molly Whuppie

This was such an entertaining story! Molly was such a brave and clever little girl! It was interesting to see the giant, which is a familiar character in fairy tales, in a new light.

Johnny-Cake

I was really hopeful that the runaway cake was going to make it out alive! He probably would have lived had he not been arrogant and bragged to everyone that he had outrun so many people. This was an entertaining story that teaches children not to be cocky or to brag too much!

The Ass, the Table and the Stick

When I was reading through this story, I was beginning to worry that Jack would never realize that the inn keeper was stealing his magical property. However, I was relieved when he used the magical stick to punish the inn keeper and get his things back. But then, I was nervous that he really was going to marry the richest of all of the girls instead of the girl he loved. Thankfully, all ended well!

No comments:

Post a Comment