Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 9 Reading Diary: Tejas Legends

Tejas Legends 

How the North Wind Lost His Hair

I really enjoy reading stories of origin from other cultures. Even though this story was not about the origin of its people, it was still interesting to read about the origin of Spanish moss. Also the transformation of something that we cannot see, like the wind, into two characters was really entertaining!

The Woodpecker's Stumpy Tail

It was great to see that wise and foolish characters can be found in Native American stories too! I had never realized how expansive these classic characters were. It was a nice way to explain to children how being foolish can lead to consequences.

Grandmother River's Trick 

I find it very interesting how the Native American culture can literally personify everything! I loved that the fish in the river thought of the river as their grandmother. I thought it was very entertaining how clever she was. This story reminded me of something my own grandma would do!

How Sickness Entered the World

Another "origin" story! I love how the Native American culture has a story for how everything came to be. It was very interesting that read about how there used to be no sickness and that people just died because it was there time to die. I also liked how the snake came into play, it seemed very fitting.

Maidens Who Broke a Drought

I loved the bravery that the girls of this tribe displayed! Also, I liked that they were rewarded for their bravery by not actually dying, but by turning into the beebush. It seemed to be a common theme among the Native Americans to have brave people turn into plants or something, so that they were always remembered.

Why the Dog's Ears Flop

This story was so cute! I loved hearing the story about how dogs lost their pride. It was also interesting to see the wolf show up as a trickster again!

No comments:

Post a Comment