Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 10 Reading Diary: Blackfoot Stories

Blackfoot Stories 

Bobcat and Birch Tree

I thought this story was very interesting. I always like to read about how things were "created" in different cultures, or at least why they look the way they look. It brings up an interesting question: What did the bobcat and the birch tree look like before the old man got ahold of them?

The Red-Eyed Duck

Another story of origin! It was intriguing to read about how the horned grebe got its red eyes according to the Blackfoot tribe. I also liked this story because it incorporated song and dance. It is nice to see what art forms are important to different cultures.

Kut-O-Yis, The Blood Boy (end)

I thought this was the most interesting of the Kut-O-Yis stories since the evil things he was battling were women. Typically I think of men as being the powerful ones or the tricksters that threaten others in a culture. However, from what I read of the Blackfoot stories, women seem to possess a substantial amount of power.

No comments:

Post a Comment