Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 11 Reading Diary: Celtic Fairy Tales

Celtic Fairy Tales 

The Horned Women

I thought this story was very interesting. It sort of reminded me of the Disney movie "Hocus Pocus". Although in that movie there were only three witches versus the twelve in this story, for some reason that was the first thing that came to my mind. I thought it was a really convenient time to read it since Halloween is right around the corner!

The Sprightly Tailor

Another spooky story! I feel like this one would be a story that could easily be transformed into a scary story that would be told around a camp fire. The tailor was so courageous in this story, so I was glad that it all paid off for him in the end!

Munachar and Manachar

This story was very entertaining to read since it was a "cumulative tale." I liked how everything continued to build up; it reminded me of other children's stories or songs that I was familiar with growing up, so it was nice to be able to connect these foreign stories to my own culture!

Beth Gellert

Such as sad story! It was interesting to see how pets, dogs in particular, are viewed in the Celtic culture. Much like the American culture, they are used in hunting activities, but are also expected to act as watch dogs. It just made me so sad that the prince did not fully investigate the situation before he killed his dog!

The Tale of Ivan

I really enjoyed this story. It reminded me of an extended Aesop fable since it had so many morals. I also liked that it had a little murder mystery; it gave the story a nice twist! Additionally, it made me happy that Ivan not only followed all the advice that the master had given him, but also was rewarded for it.

Brewery of Eggshells 

This story was rather short compared to the majority of the other stories in this unit. However, it did not lack in plot or detail. It was also very interesting to finally see leprechauns incorporated into the stories! This would be a fun story to retell with some modern twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment